Urban Pet Project receives animals from individuals who are no longer able to care for their pets as well as animals that lost or abandoned by means of local animal controls. We are looking for people who are willing to provide permanent, loving homes for these animals.
Please consider carefully the time and money required to own a pet before you make the decision to adopt. Owning a pet is a lifetime commitment.
All animals that are available for adoption have passed an evaluation based on their known history, health and temperament. Animals remain available at our Adoption Centers as long as their good health and behavior continue. There is no time limit for how long an animal may remain on our adoption floors.
- You must be 18 years of age or older to adopt an animal.
- A current photo ID (driver’s license or state ID card) is required to process an adoption.
- All dogs, puppies, cats, kittens, and rabbits will be spayed/neutered prior to going home.
- To provide permanent identification, all dogs, puppies, cats, and kittens receive a microchip implant. The microchip is registered at the time of adoption.
- Adopters assume full responsibility for the pet’s care.
- While we hope your pet selection is successful and permanent, we do offer a 14-day refund from the date of adoption during which you may return the pet for any reason. After 14 days no refund is given.
- If at any time you can no longer care for your pet ,we ask that you return the pet to the Urban Pet Project. We will always take our pets back.
- Urban Pet Project reserves the right to refuse any adoption.
- If you are adopting a cat, kitten, guinea pig, rabbit or other small animal please bring your own hard sided carrier
You are welcome to visit the shelter any time during regular adoption hours to view the animals that are available for adoption. New animals are put in the adoption areas often. If you are looking for a particular type or breed of animal, please check this web site often or call the adoption desk to see what’s available.
Plan to allow one to two hours to complete the adoption process. It may take longer, depending on how many animals you wish to get acquainted with, your previous experience with pet care, and the number of other visitors at the facility. Peak days for visitor traffic are Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays, so please allow extra time if you plan to visit us on those days.
To begin the adoption process, all adopters must complete an Adoption Application form. We use an application and interview process to ensure that each animal adopted will be matched to the most compatible new owner. This form is available online or at our Adoption Center.
Our adoption staff will review with you any medical or behavioral information relevant to that animal, explain policies and services available to adopters, and collect adoption fees.
Please note that all adoptions must be processed in person at the shelter.
To best serve the animals we do not hold pets. The first person with an approved application may adopt the pet.
Please bring your whole family with you! Anyone who lives in your home and if you are adopting a dog please make time for you dog to meet our dog. If you are a customer at Barking Hound Village we can set up for you to bring your dog to daycare that day and let your dog and our dog meet and play all day before going home.
Exceptional Owners Wanted.
Occasionally we have animals that have medical situations that require a little more love and attention. These animals are wonderful companions for an experienced owner with the resources to provide on-going veterinary care and special attention.